The Reading Corner is a place where books of all genres are examined and reviewed. Comments, questions and disagreement are welcomed. Grab some coffee and a comfy chair and make yourself at home.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sundays are boring


Sundaes aren't, though. And actually, this Sunday hasn't been boring at all. I woke up to find that I had no internet -nor did the 13 surrounding counties. I think I speak for all of us when I raise both middle fingers to Time Warner Cable and shout words that I will not type here for the sake of propriety and your eyes (they'd catch on fire and fall out if you were forced to read what I actually said). No jokes here.

But, the internet is back. My equilibrium has been restored, as has my enthusiasm for writing (which was totally gone yesterday). Strange how having something taken away suddenly makes it 10x more important and vital. Although while the interwebs were down, I did play 8 games of tennis on the Wii and beat the stuffing out of some virtual punching bags (I think 75, to be exact, although not all in one go. More like 8.), and I ran a couple of miles on the treadmill. And I had coffee, started a load of laundry, read a magazine and took my cat outside. Maybe not having the internet on constantly isn't a completely bad thing.

Ha! What am I saying? I live on the internet.

I'm still reading Brave New World, and I've also started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Hunter S. Thompson and I would have gotten along. Not that I'm a drug-addled acid-headed fiend, but I like his style of writing and the way he words things. Anyone who can write like that about an experience he probably really and truly couldn't remember much of is okay in my book. It's funny to jump between the books, though, because Huxley has a lot of (socially demanded and legal) drug use that isn't described in a lot of detail and Thompson has a lot of (obviously illegal and terrifying) drug use that is basically the entire book.

In other news, people are finally starting to suggest books to me! Yay! I love you all. Starting today, I'll be working on a review of The Great Gatsby (yum yum) and hopefully finishing my reviews of The Things That Matter so that I can have a nice hefty backlog of things to post. However, as in the picture, I want MOAR. Because MOAR.

I love books, and I need to have suggestions. They help me more than you are aware -even if I don't read what you suggest, it gives me ideas, and those are invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment