The Reading Corner is a place where books of all genres are examined and reviewed. Comments, questions and disagreement are welcomed. Grab some coffee and a comfy chair and make yourself at home.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

It's Caturday!


LOLCats. They have either ruined the internets, or made them incomparably more awesome. I'm never sure which, although there was a rendition of Wasteland makes my day every time I read it. (If you haven't read Wasteland, it wouldn't make much sense. In fact, it probably won't make any. But it's a good place to get started on the poem, because a] it's read by LOLCats and b] it's really really funny). However, the link appears to have died. :( So I can no longer post it for you. If I find it again (or anyone knows where it is), I'll link you to it. It's great.

Right now I'm reading Brave New World. I started it about two weeks ago and put it aside in favor of The Things That Matter (which I am currently in the process of reviewing; it's going to be a review in 8 parts, so holy hell is that taking forever to do. It's basically an academic paper at this point, but since I am a Literature Examiner, that's my job. And I enjoy it.); now that I've picked BNW back up, I regret having put it down. It's just amazing. I'll be writing another lengthy review of that, I can already tell.

I still need ideas of books to read! Bring 'em on, bring 'em on. As with my musical criteria (well, criterion): I will read anything that doesn't suck. And if it does...I just get to write a nasty review.

Here's something funny I've noticed about the comments I get on my Twilight review. The ones that aren't agreeing with me but aren't totally illiterate still aren't disagreeing with me. They're calling me names, or saying I'm jealous of Meyer. "Say whatnow?" is generally my reaction to that buffoonery. If I were jealous of Meyer, I wouldn't have the ability to write a review, because I'd be too busy off writing a better series of novels than Twilight. It's not like it'd be hard -it's been done a million times before, and will be done a million times hence. I just think it's sort of sad that people are so defensive of Twilight they have to automatically assume that anyone who doesn't like it either sucks as a person or is a struggling and therefore jealous writer.

Sorry I'm not jealous of something that wasn't worth reading in the first place, kiddies.

Those comments also get deleted, because they generally are full of other inappropriate insults. One offered to print of the review and have a dog bescumber it.

Anyway, /rant again. That review just makes me laugh. People get so pissy!

Off I go to enjoy my weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Books you should read and review:
    Ender's game, Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card
    Cordialias Honnor by Lois McMaster Bujold
    The Great Gatsby by i don't want to remember his name.
    Shooting script for The Phantom Menace by the doofus who shall not be named.
    i am really interested in what you will say about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Gatsby is F. Scott Fitzgerald :) Great book.
    The script for the Phantom Menace would make me cry, I can tell you that right now...I'd have to wear a gas mask and burn incense before I could stand to read it.
    The others though I can definitely do :) Keep checking back for them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to read BNW soon, after The Population Bomb and possible The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I read 1984 and it is most excellent. You should read/review:
    On The Road - Jack Kerouac
    Parallelities - Alan Dean Foster*
    The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini*
    1984 - George Orwell
    Walden Two - BF Skinner*
    A * denotes I own the book and can loan it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome :) Kite Runner I've read (and possibly have written on in the past, although in an academic setting. It's been a while) but the others I will need to check out, and definitely borrow!

    ReplyDelete