The Reading Corner is a place where books of all genres are examined and reviewed. Comments, questions and disagreement are welcomed. Grab some coffee and a comfy chair and make yourself at home.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Alphabets and juice

There are plenty of books of lists out there, and a lot of them are pretty good. One in particular catches my attention, though, and I guess that's mostly because I'm a word nerd (seriously, you have no idea how true that statement is). "Alphabet Juice" by Roy Blount Jr. is that book -it takes the alphabet letter by letter and...juices it. Pun intended. It's a funny, smart book that's still accessible to readers who aren't even that into words.

Reading this book has made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion, and despite the weird looks I've gotten, I still enjoy it. It's a great book, a fun read, and it's divided into convenient servings (I'll try to lay off the puns soon, I promise) that make it ideal for reading in chunks. One of the best things about the book is its full title: Alphabet Juice. The Energies, Gists, and Spirits of Letters, Words, and Combinations Thereof; Their Roots, Bones, Innards, Piths, Pips, and Secret Parts, Tinctures, Tonics, and Essences; With Examples of Their Usage Foul And Savory.

Seriously? That is an awesome title. Although I'm not really a fan of the Oxford comma, personally (check out Eats, Shoots & Leaves to find out what that is -the comma deal is really a totally personal preference, but it's fun to read about anyway), that is one of the coolest and most ridiculous titles I've ever seen.

More on books 'n' stuff soon. Hopefully I'll have a review of "A Scanner Darkly" up in the next couple of days! The book creeps me out in the best/worst way possible, so I'm having to read it in stages. The one time I read it before I slept, I had weird dreams and almost fell off the couch, so I'm trying to avoid having that experience again.

No comments:

Post a Comment