The Reading Corner is a place where books of all genres are examined and reviewed. Comments, questions and disagreement are welcomed. Grab some coffee and a comfy chair and make yourself at home.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Update

I am currently reading a fantastic book called "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who is one of the most fascinating individuals. I've known about her and the book for quite some time, but never got around to reading the book -I'm grateful to have the chance to be forced to read it for my writing class, since it was truly worth the wait.

Ali's autobiography details her upbringing in Somalia in a strict Muslim family (she also underwent female genital mutilation, much like Mende Nazer), her flight from an arranged marriage, her time as a Dutch politician and the making of the film that has changed her life -she is under guard 24/7, and the number of death threats directed at her is immense. The friend with whom she made the video was assassinated.

It's a really good look at religion, politics, education and personal integrity, and I would advise anyone to check it out.


Additionally, if you have never read the book "Jitterbug Perfume", go out and buy it and read it along with "Infidel". The two are totally different, however; "Jitterbug Perfume" is a riotous look at religion, politics, education and personal integrity. Hey, wait...

For all that they share themes in common, there are significant differences between the two. "Infidel" is a book that had me covering my mouth in shock, while "Jitterbug Perfume" had me rolling on the ground, crying tears of mirth. It's one of the more fantastic books I have ever read -simultaneously hilarious and utterly philosophical.

It covers several thousand years, deals with gods, immortal men and, significantly, perfume.

I refuse to divulge any of its delicious secrets, since they are yours to discover.

2 comments: